What is the very best Y.A. fiction (book or series) written by a woman or POC or member of the LGBTQ+ community in the last 18 years?
This poll is from our Year of Diverse Polls. Please check this page out if you have questions about the narrowed focus.
As we continue with the most popular polls we've ever done here at Writing About Writing (but without the cis het white guys) we will have to break one of the most popular categories ever up into chunks by time in order to keep it from getting unruly. So if the date of copyright is 1999 or before, it'll be the next poll.
[I'm trying to jump back into things, but it may be a bit of a ramp up to our full fledged, kick ass posting schedule, especially on the "on camera" side of the blog. Not only are there about ten "admin" posts that need posting (everything from our 2018 Best Of menu, that now has enough entries to create, to a shout out to the first 6 month's patron muses), but I have probably 40-50 hours of editing work and menu clean up that needs to be done as well and a bunch of emails that require my attention. And jury duty hit this week if you can believe that shit. I probably won't get called, and I'll never make a jury if I do get called because A) I seem to understand the burden of proof that "reasonable doubt" entails and B) I tell them openly that I think the modern criminal justice system upholds white supremacy––no prosecutor would ever let me within a country mile of their juries, but it might still be several hours out of writing time since I am currently pet sitting almost two hours drive from where I would have to report. And to top it all off, I'm still healing from my hospital stay. I can only write for a little while before sitting up really starts to be uncomfortable and I need to lie back down. That little fucker must have really torn up some shit on its way through. I'm really terrible at convalescing and I hate it, but even I know not to mess around with getting enough rest after landing in the hospital.]
- Please note the diversity requirements above.
- As always, I leave the niggling over "YA" to your best judgement because I'd rather be inclusive. If you feel like Water for Elephants is young adult, I will furrow my brow, make an "Erm?" noise, and shrug. (Though you may need to show your work in order to get the seconds you'll need to make the poll.) I'll only throw them out if they get super ridiculous.
- You may nominate two (2) books or series. If you nominate three or more I become a megalomaniacal gatekeeper on a cheap power trip. But more importantly for you, I will NOT take any nominations beyond the second that you suggest. (I will consider a long list to be "seconds" if someone else nominates them as well, and will only take the first two.)
- You may (and absolutely should) second as many nominations of others as you wish. Also stop back in and see if anyone has put up something you want to see go onto the poll. This one is going to have fierce competition.
- Put your nominations here. I will take nominations only as comments and only on this post. (No comments on FB posts or G+ will be considered nominations.) If you can't comment for some reason because of Blogger, send me an email (email@example.com) stating exactly that, and I will personally put your comment up. I am not likely to see a comment on social media even if it says you were unable to leave a comment here.
- You are nominating WRITTEN young adult fiction, not their movie portrayals. If you thought Jennifer Lawrence was awesome in The Hunger Games movies, but you didn't really care for the books, then that shouldn't be your nomination.
- This is probably well known by vets of this blog by now, but there will be no more endless elimination rounds. I will take somewhere between 8-20 best performing titles and at MOST run a single semifinal round. So second the titles you want even if they already have one. (Yes, I guess that would make them thirds, fourths, etc...) The competition on THIS poll is going to be FIERCE so please come back and second, third, fourth, and twenty-fifth everything you want to see go on to the poll.